Today, at Catholic Charities Cold Weather Update information was provided related to our homeless community including:
- There are approximately 3,000 homeless people in Sonoma County (two-thirds are unsheltered).
- There are 213 beds at Sam Jones Homeless Shelter.
- There are 138 beds at the Family Support Center.
- There are 26 beds at the Nightingale (cost $300,000 while saving hospitals $3,000,000-4,000,000 annually).
- 651 individuals were placed in permanent housing this year (95% of those in permanent housing remain in housing).
- The Drop-in Center now operates 24 hours a day.
- Homeless populated increased last year by 6% (there was a 35% decrease in homeless population before October’s fires).
- Note: after a major event, like the October Fires of 2017, there is usually another increase in homeless population the second year (fewer housing options, lost jobs, stress…).